Sex
education is a hot topic, not because of the implied content, but because of
the missing content. In schools across the United States, kids are being taught
that abstinence is best and that sex is for adults. Kids then walk out of those
classrooms with more questions than they started with. Why is sex prohibited to
us? What is so dangerous or secretive about sex? Will it give me some answers
if I do it? By denying kids answers to simple questions, we are creating a
temptation. Nothing is as tempting as a good mystery. Kids are like little
detectives, always seeking out the answers to difficult questions. The problem
in the education systems is that we do not answer any questions kids may have
about sex. We should be teaching kids not only what sex is but why it is
important to either wait or use protection. Teen pregnancy is a major issue in
public schools. For some schools like Gloucester, teen pregnancy is so normal
that they have a day care center in the school. I think another part of the
problem is that we are not teaching kids what it means to be pregnant. We are
giving them some biological look at what it means to be pregnant but that means
nothing to them without some context. As part of sex ed, we should be talking
about pregnancy and why it is better to be older. Giving students an egg to
take care of for a week hardly qualifies as a wakeup call. Schools are still
giving kids eggs or dolls to take care of as if that will somehow provide them
with insight. Many kids take care of pets and therefore do not see the
connection.
When I
was in sixth grade, I remember they gave us an egg to take care of for one
week. With the teacher’s signature on the bottom of the egg, there was no way
to replace it if we broke it. It was so simple that I nearly forgot about that
egg. I had placed it in a basket in my closet each day after school. I never
really connected the activity with the message. I believe they were trying to
teach me something about being responsible for something (or someone) else but
it did not register. I think these "G rated" safe ways of showing
kids what it means to be responsible for someone else are a joke. They are a
way for the adults in the kids’ lives to get out of really talking to their
kids. Many adults shy away from the sex talk and prefer to let the schools
handle that sort of thing but thankfully for me my mother was not shy. She sat
me down when I was twelve years old and said "In many cultures you are old
enough to bear children and have a family, so you therefore are old enough to
know what it means to be a woman." She proceeded to describe to me, in
detail, my organs and men's organs, and what sex was, and what pregnancy was
like, and what it was like to have a baby. At first, it was a horrifying
conversation but as we progressed, I found it to be one of the best
conversations I've ever had with my mother.
I had
a friend in high school that was not as lucky as I was. Her parents left the sex
talk to the school thinking that they would handle any questions she might
have. She had the same sixth grade egg class as me and of course she did not
take anything away from it either. She dated a boy all through high school and
was lucky that he was a smart cookie. He insisted on protection and even
offered to pay for birth control if she ever wanted it. They broke up the
summer before senior year and she ended up having a one night stand a few weeks
after the break up. She was heartbroken and in her sadness made the worst
decision of her life. She turned up pregnant eight weeks later. She managed to
graduate high school, but barely. I remember feeling so awful going off to
college while she sat home with a newborn. Her story is not as sad as it seems
though. She loved her son and ended up marrying the guy. They have two kids now
and seem very happy. She got lucky. Her parents were extremely supportive and
helped pay for all the expenses. Not all teens that get pregnant get that kind
of support.
I never really thought of the egg activity in relation to sex education, though that may have something to do with the fact that I am a guy and never had to do it... Anyway, it certainly seems silly for our generation of teachers to go back old fashioned programs like that without establishing a way for students to get something out of it. Without proper guidance, there is no way the majority of students are connecting what is going on. So what is the point? There have to be more innovative ways to introduce this subject matter to our students.
ReplyDeleteSex is wrong. Sex is dirty. Sex is for select adults only. These are the messages that many school districts send to students through their curricula, and what better way to make teenagers want to have sex than by telling them they shouldn't? Your comment about "G-rated" sex education is exactly right. Teachers and even many parents gloss over the subject of sex so much that most teens are left with more questions than answers. My parents were so afraid of the topic that a large part of my sexual education came from the pages of Penthouse and Hustler, and those were NOT the places I should have been learning about it.
ReplyDelete