White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Backpack was enlightening but not altogether surprising. The dysfunctions of our society are evident but there was little suggested to fix it besides resisting privileges. The problem I found with the piece was that it did not address disadvantages of "white trash" or advantages of "cultured African Americans." These opposite views were not represented in the discussion and did not contribute to a well-rounded discussion of the problems with racism in today's society.
Racial Formation reminded me of the activity we did in class where we wrote down stereotypes surrounding certain race/ethnicity/sexual orientations. There were several layers of racism embedded in the results of our activity. Omni and Winant discuss the complexities of not only race but what constitutes racism. I was confused by their repeated reference to "racial projects" and had difficulty understanding what exactly they were referring to. I agreed and disagreed in equal parts with their definitions of what constituted racism. For example, they included whites in the discussion by saying "Whites can at times be the victims of racism-by other whites or nonwhites-as is the case with anti-Jewish and anti-Arab prejudice" (Omni 117). On the other hand, I found the explanation of the Asian American entrepreneur argument weak and misleading. In most cases I would find that statement to be highly racist because of the way it categorizes a certain race in a certain way.
Relating Ethnic and Racial Identity Development to Teaching provides a comprehensive look at the different stages of ethnic awareness and types of teachers. Some of the statements made seemed like over simplified generalizations: "Individuals tend to dissociate themselves from their own ethnic or racial group in preference for association with the majority group" (Hollins 185). Though I do believe individuals of this type exist, I also believe that even within the different stages there are degrees. Stage One, though broad in its criteria, would be the most extreme case of no ethnic development or awareness. I imagine this category to include individuals that perceive ethnicity as a historical concept long dead to individuals who believe that ethnic minorities are inferior in several ways. Conversely, I found Stage Six very limiting in its criteria of who is classified as a culturally balanced person.
Ethnic Identity Development and Multicultural Education illustrates the importance of helping students develop their own identities. As an important aspect of human growth, ethnic identity provides students with a well-being and sense of completeness that will help them develop a unique and strong identity. As an educator, it is my responsibility to help them develop positive self-images. Teachers play essential roles on developing personalities and growing young minds. Teachers who promote positive images and ideas of different ethnic backgrounds are equipping their students with tools that will help them navigate through society and society's negative representations of ethnicity and race. It will allow future generations to negate racism and debunk misconceptions and stereotypes that litter today's society. As an aspiring educator, it is important that I incorporate multiculturalism in my classroom and lesson plans so I can send culturally respectful and aware people into society with the hope of bettering it.
I found these readings fascinating. About two years ago I spent nine months traveling around Central America and I experienced what it was like to be an outsider. I thought I knew what it was like to be different but spending three months in Guatemala changed my entire perspective on what it is like to be an outsider. I barely spoke the language and I stood out like a sore thumb. I dressed different, talked different, and looked different. I had trouble with the heat, the food, and the lack of creature comforts like indoor plumbing. Some people reacted to me with curiosity, some with open disdain and hostility. I was pegged as an American the second I walked off the plane and though I am proud of that fact, in that moment I understood what it felt like to be burdened by nationality.
Great stuff here, Olivia. I quite liked McIntosh's article but I agree with you that it could have done more to delve into the issues of class that are so often coupled with cases of racial privilege. I think there's a lot to be said about the fact that people criticize both black people who act "above" their station and white people who act "below" theirs, as though there is a natural social order to which people of all races are expected to adhere.
ReplyDeleteClassism and economic discrimination, especially as they relate to race relations, are things I'd like to talk about in class so I'm hoping that we can lead into that discussion by bringing up this point about the article.
Hi Olivia,
ReplyDeleteRacial discrimination can mean different things to different people. I believe that it depends on the race that you are, and how you are brought up. Diversity is attributed to minority groups classified according to their race, language, and ethnicity. It is basically very evident that in the United States, students hail from diverse economic, linguistic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds. In 25 of the principal capitals in the United States, approximately fifty percent of the students come from culturally and linguistically different groups. Of all these groups, the fastest-growing populations are the Hispanics. Thus, educators are encouraged to hone their knowledge, attitudes, and skills and make it apt in the multicultural set-ups.